Marnie

Monday, November 17, 2008

Sat 7th June 2008 3 GIGS IN ONE DAY
Another really busy weekend. Belmont Park-Exeter , The Castle pub-Bradninch Festival, and finally Mad Hatters Party-Crediton
Katie & me were booked to play at Bradninch festival. I was then playing a party gig with Ed in the evening.
Katie rang me the day before asking if I wanted to do a last minute gig in Belmont Park in Exeter before we go to Bradninch Festival. I thought yea, we can do it when we B&Q it! :)

GIG NUMBER ONE We arrived at Belmont Park, Exeter and there were problems with the genni’ so we had no electric for a bit. I was conscious that time was wafting away as we didn‘t have long before we had to shoot off to the next gig. When we got going, after about 2 songs the heavens opened and it hailed...big time. This wasn’t any ordinary hail. It was huge, massive, humongous hail. I’ve never seen hail that big before in my life. I would compare the size to a jaffa cake but realistically they were more the size of smarties or M & M’s. honestly :) Everyone was running for cover before they got knocked out. :0 Most people ran in the open sided tent that we were playing in. It was quite a bizarre experience. Everyone was stood behind us. I thought I’d try and be funny and said, if your stood there that means you have to sing...Their faces looked worried and not many did... It was fun though. Never had that happen before. It was also the first time that my niece & nephew, Leah & Malikai, 6 and 2years old have ever seen me sing live. I was really honoured they were there. My dear Mum bought them down with Chloe and I felt all mushy inside...ahhhh shucks!!


GIG NUMBER TWO We then scooted off to The Castle pub to play at Bradninch Festival and just made it in time. We played in the garden out the back with great acoustics, a lovely little stage and buzzy atmosphere.


It was really sunny there, so different from the hailstorm from earlier. It was like going into another world. Special thanks to Sara and Jase for making it to watch me.

The Geee' force of Jan's van when pulling away has Jase stuck to the back, holding on for dear life! :)
Again it was the first time my sis’ had ever seen me ‘do my thang’ on stage so it was really special. Fanx guys. love ya :)
Our encore song was ‘The Woodlouse song’ and yes it was about Woodlouses. I started writing it with Paul a couple of years ago as a joke and then it got buried and forgotten about under a load more lyrics. When I was jamming with Katie I stumbled across the old lyrics again and we finished writing it in fits of laughter. When we played it, I was wondering if people would get it or not and thinking oh know, what if it flops, it’s our last song, but luckily they ‘got it’ and loved it. After we finished our set, I was walking through the pub & as I passed people, I could hear them singing the chorus line. Woodlouse, woodlouse, I wish I was a woodlouse...I couldn’t believe it.
I had a guy come up to me and make me sing it again cause his mate didn’t hear it properly. As I was leaving and getting into my van ready to go to my third and final gig of the day, I had to stop and listen for a moment...There were some guys waiting for a bus across the road and they were singing it too. It was surreal and so, so funny. Will get a copy on the site soon as poss! Well done and many, many thanks to Lady Katie for making it such a fab gig. She was in a rush too, she had a wedding to get to.

GIG NUMBER THREE And lastly but not leastly' I then headed over to Sally’s for her
Mad Hatters Party gig.
Myself and Ed were playing, what was going to be a short set, that ended up going on more than twice as long. They didn’t want us to stop and I didn’t want to either. It was really mellow and I just couldn’t stop playing the guitar...(wow miracles do happen ehh!!!) Ed was doing some cool improvisation stuff on some of my tunes that he’d never heard before. I thought it sounded really wicked, like we both knew what we were doing (steady on, I know) :) but it really worked well. Thanks Ed for your confidence in just going with the songs cause I think it sounded fab with all your bits and bobs you were doing. My work was now done for the day so we half packed away the P.A. and I settled in to relaxing properly around a gorgeous little bonfire. You just can’t beat the atmosphere of good company, a roaring fire, good music and I think that’s about it, what more could you want boy!! :) oh, a beer...:) A great eve’ all round. Thanks Sally :)
It's going to be a long night so better pace ourselves Mr Cider drinker



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home